Arts (ART) at Patrick Henry Community College

Advanced Search >>
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

ART 100 - Art Appreciation
Introduces art from prehistoric times to the present day. Describes architectural styles, sculpture, photography, printmaking, and painting techniques.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 111 - Introduction to the Arts I
Parallels studio classes and provides a general survey of the arts. Emphasizes perception, using major monuments of painting, sculpture, and architecture as examples. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 112 - Introduction to the Arts II
Parallels studio classes and provides a general survey of the arts. Emphasizes perception, using major monuments of painting, sculpture, and architecture as examples. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 120 - Beginning Drawing
Introduces principles and practices of the various media used in drawing.
Lecture 1 hour. Studio instruction 2 hours. Total 3 hours per week.
2 credits
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 125 - Introduction to Painting
Introduces study of color, composition and painting techniques. Places emphasis on experimentation and enjoyment of oil and/or acrylic paints and the fundamentals of tools and materials.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 132 - Fundamentals of Design II
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 135 - Visual Communications
Studies intermediate design concepts applicable to all fields of communication arts.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week
Prerequisite ART 131.
3-4 credits
ART 140 - Introduction to Graphic Skills
Teaches basic studio skills and concepts. Emphasizes concept development and problem solving using traditional art materials and computer techniques. Uses current graphic software applications.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 1-2 hours, Lab 4 hours, Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 141 - Typography I
Studies the history of letterforms and typefaces and examines their uses in contemporary communications media. Emphasizes applications to specific design problems. Includes identification and specification of type and uses current technologies for copy fitting and hands-on typesetting problems. Part I of II.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills.
3-4 credits
ART 175 - Photography Workshop
Introduces basic camera operations and darkroom techniques.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 6 hours per week.
4 credits
ART 195 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 197 - Cooperative Education
Supervises in on-the-job training for pay in approved business, industrial and service firms, coordinated by the college's cooperative education office. Is applicable to all occupational- technical curricula at the discretion of the college.
Credit/work ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 201 - History of Art I
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 202 - History of Art II
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 210 - Advanced Video Techniques
Explores advanced production and post-production techniques utilizing the audio and video capabilities of Hybrid Digital Single Lens Reflex (HDSLR) cameras that include the following: sound design, title design, color correction, compelling visual narratives, complex compositing and basic motion effects. Covers practical video projects common for commercial photographers and designers, including corporate identity videos, event videos and advanced storytelling. This course is cross?listed with PHT 210. Credit will not be awarded for both.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 221 - Drawing III
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studion instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 222 - Drawing IV
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 243 - Watercolor I
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 244 - Watercolor II
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 248 - Painting III
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of representational and abstract painting as applied to the head/figure, still-life, landscape and other subject matter including non-objective painting. Gives additional instruction in color, composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to painting. Prerequisite: ART 242 to ART 248. Part I of II.
Lecture 2-3 hours. Laboratory 2-3 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 271 - Printmaking I
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 286 - Communication Arts Workshop
Requires special project and/or research focusing on career opportunities. Teaches resume and portfolio preparation and interview techniques. May include internship with a professional design firm. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1 hour. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 287 - Portfolio and Resume Preparation
Focuses on portfolio preparation, resume writing, and job interviewing for students. Recommended for final semester program students. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 0-4 hours. Total 1-6 hours per week.
1-4 credits
ART 295 - Topics In
1-5 credits