Computer Science (CSC) at Virginia Highlands Community College
- CSC 155 - Computer Concepts and Applications
- Introduces basic hardware and software concepts of computer usage and the computer's impact on society. Includes applications of various types of software to illustrate how computers are used in sciences, social sciences, humanities, and education. Covers the use of an operating system, word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, library access, database access and retrieval, and the Internet.Lecture 3 hours per week.
- CSC 195 - Topics In
- Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
- CSC 200 - Introduction to Computer Science
- Provides broad introduction to computer science. Discusses architecture and function of computer hardware, including networks and operating systems, data and instruction representation and data organization. Covers software, algorithms, programming languages and software engineering. Discusses artificial intelligence and theory of computation. Includes a hand-on component.Lecture 3-4 hours per week.
- CSC 201 - Computer Science I
- Introduces algorithm and problem solving methods. Emphasizes structured programming concepts, elementary data structures and the study and use of a high level programming language. Corequisite MTH 173 or equivalent or divisional approval.Lecture 4 hours per week.
- CSC 202 - Computer Science II
- Examines data structures and algorithm analysis. Covers data structures (including sets, strings, stacks, queues, arrays, records, files, linked lists, and trees), abstract data types, algorithm analysis (including searching and sorting methods), and file structures. Prerequisite CSC 201. Corequisite MTH 174.Lecture 4 hours per week.
- CSC 210 - Programming with C++
- Includes language syntax, problem solving techniques, top-down refinement, procedure definition, loop invariance, theory of numerical errors and debugging. Covers the syntax of the C++ language. Prerequisite: CSC 201 and 202, or EGR 125 or permission of instructor.Lecture 3-4 hours per week.
- CSC 215 - Advanced Computer Organization
- Examines advanced topics in Computer Science such as I/O methods, virtual memory, disk management and operating systems. Prerequisite: CSC 205Lecture 3-4 hours per week.