Geograph Info Systems (GIS) at Virginia Highlands Community College
- GIS 200 - Geographical Information Systems I
- Provides hands-on introduction to a dynamic desktop GIS (Geographic Information System). Introduces the components of a desktop GIS and their functionality. Emphasizes manipulation of data for the purpose of analysis, presentation, and decision-making. Prerequisite: ITE 115 or ITE 119 or equivalent.Lecture 2 - 3 hours. Laboratory 2 hours. Total 4 - 5 hours per week. 3 - 4 Credits.
- GIS 201 - Geographical Information Systems II
- Provides a continuation of GIS 200, with emphasis on advanced topics in problem solving, decision-making, modeling, programming, and data management. Covers map projections and data formats, and methods for solving the problems they create. Prerequisite: GIS 200.Lecture 2-3 hours. Laboratory 2 hours. Total 4-5 hours per week. 3-4 credits
- GIS 215 - New GIS Software Platforms and Applications
- Assists users with the transition to newer GIS software platforms and applications. Covers concepts and terminology needed to become proficient in the latest GIS software. Prerequisite: GIS 201.Lecture 3 hours. Laboratory 2 hours. Total 5 hours per week.