Spanish (SPA) at Virginia Highlands Community College

Advanced Search >>
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

SPA 101 - Beginning Spanish I
Introduces understanding, speaking, reading, and writing skills and emphasizes basic Spanish sentence structure. May include an additional hour of oral drill and practice per week. Part I of II.
Lecture 4-5 hours per week. May include one additional hour of oral practice per week.
4-5 credits
SPA 102 - Beginning Spanish II
Introduces understanding, speaking, reading, and writing skills and emphasizes basic Spanish sentence structure. May include an additional hour of oral drill and practice per week. Part II of II.
4-5 credits
SPA 105 - Beginning Spanish 1a
Introduces understanding, speaking, reading, and writing skills and emphasizes basic Spanish sentence structure. Includes basic vocabulary and grammar. May include an extra hour of oral drill and practice. Examines the relationship between the Spanish language and Hispanic culture. Both courses (SPA 105-106) must be completed to equate to SPA 101.
Lecture 2 hours per week.
2 credits
SPA 160 - Spanish for the Green Industry I
Introduces basic conversation skills in Spanish to those working in the "Green" industry. Emphasizes the use of vocabulary and expressions needed for communication in horticulture, landscaping, nursery/greenhouse, and turf management. Addresses cultural aspects of working with Spanish speaking populations.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
SPA 163 - Spanish for Health Professionals I
Introduces Spanish to those in the health sciences. Emphasizes oral communication and practical medical vocabulary. May include oral drill and practice. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
SPA 199 - Supervised Study
Assigns problems for independent study incorporating previous instruction and supervised by the instructor.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
SPA 201 - Intermediate Spanish
Continues to develop understanding, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Prerequisite SPA 102 or equivalent. May include oral drill and practice. Part I of II.
Lecture 3-4 hours per week. May include one additional hour of oral practice per week.
3-4 credits
SPA 202 - Intermediate Spanish
Continues to develop understanding, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Prerequisite SPA 102 or equivalent. May include oral drill and practice. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
SPA 204 - Intermediate Spanish I-II
Continues to develop understanding, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Classes conducted in Spanish. Prerequisite SPA 102 or equivalent. May include oral drill and practice. Part II of II.
Lecture 3-4 hours per week.
3-4 credits
SPA 211 - Intermediate Spanish Conversation I-II
Continues to develop fluency through emphasis on idioms and other complex sentence structures. Prerequisite SPA 202 or equivalent. Part I of II.
Lecture 3-4 hours per week.
3-4 credits
SPA 271 - Intro to Latin American Civ. Literature I
Introduces the student to Latin American culture and literature. Readings and discussions conducted in Spanish. Prerequisite SPA 202 or equivalent. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
SPA 295 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits