Arts (ART) at Blue Ridge Community College

Advanced Search
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 115 - Current Issues in Web Design
Explores contemporary subjects and current trends pertaining to web design. Emphasizes the roles of design and production techniques fundamental to web development.
Lecture 1 hour per week.
1 credits
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 125 - Introduction to Painting
Introduces study of color, composition and painting techniques. Places emphasis on experimentation and enjoyment of oil and/or acrylic paints and the fundamentals of tools and materials.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 132 - Fundamentals of Design II
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 153 - Ceramics I
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 5-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 154 - Ceramics II
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 180 - Introduction to Computer Graphics
Provides a working introduction to computer-based electronic technology used by visual artists and designers. Presents the basics of operating platforms and standard industry software. Introduces problems in which students can explore creative potential of the new electronic media environment.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 190 - Coordinated Internship
Supervises on-the-job training in selected business, industrial or service firms coordinated by the college.
Credit/practice ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 198 - Seminar and Project
Requires completion of a project or research report related to the student's occupational objectives and a study of approaches to the selection and pursuit of career opportunities in the field.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 201 - History of Art I
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 202 - History of Art II
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 235 - Functional Ceramics
Explores the design and production of functional ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 6-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 236 - Sculptural Ceramics
Explores the design and production of sculptural ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
3-4 credits
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
ART 241 Detailed Outline
ART 243 - Watercolor I
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 248 - Painting III
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of representational and abstract painting as applied to the head/figure, still-life, landscape and other subject matter including non-objective painting. Gives additional instruction in color, composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to painting. Prerequisite: ART 242 to ART 248. Part I of II.
Lecture 2-3 hours. Laboratory 2-3 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 249 - Painting IV
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of representational and abstract painting as applied to the head/figure, still-life, landscape and other subject matter including non-objective painting. Gives additional instruction in color, composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to painting. Prerequisite: ART 242 to ART 248. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 299 - Supervised Study
Assigns problems for independent study incorporating previous instruction and supervised by the instructor.
1-5 credits