History (HIS) at Blue Ridge Community College

Advanced Search

Distance Learning
Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
HIS 101 - History of Western Civilization I
Examines the development of western civilization from ancient times to the present. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 102 - History of Western Civilization II
Examines the development of western civilization from ancient times to the present. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 111 - History of World Civilization I
Surveys Asian, African, Latin American, and European civilizations from the ancient period to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 112 - History of World Civilization II
Surveys Asian, African, Latin American, and European civilizations from the ancient period to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 121 - United States History I
Surveys United States history from its beginning to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 122 - United States History II
Surveys United States history from its beginning to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 127 - Women in American History
Studies the role of women and attitudes toward women in American society from colonial times to the present.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 141 - African-American History I
Surveys the history of black Americans from their African origins to the present. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 181 - Introduction to Historic Preservation
Provides a foundation and introduction to historic preservation practices and issues in Virginia and the United States. Emphasizes legislation, policies, and methodologies that form our present national, state, and local preservation systems.
Lecture 3 hours, Total 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 181 Detailed Outline
HIS 195 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
HIS 211 - History of England I
Examines the history of England from the Neolithic period up through 1714.
(3 Cr.) Lecture 3 hours. Total 3 hours per week.
None
3 credits
HIS 211 Detailed Outline
HIS 241 - History of Russia I
Surveys history of Russia from earliest times to the present. Includes political, economic, multi-national, social, and cultural aspects of Russian and Soviet history. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 251 - History of Middle East Civilization I
Surveys intellectual, cultural, social, economic and religious patterns in the civilizations of the Middle East. Covers Semitic, Indo-European, and Turkic-speaking peoples from pre-Islamic to the present. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 252 - History of Middle East Civilization II
Surveys intellectual, cultural, social, economic and religious patterns in the civilizations of the Middle East. Covers Semitic, Indo-European, and Turkic-speaking peoples from pre-Islamic to the present. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 253 - History of Asian Civilizations I
Surveys the civilizations of Asia from their origins to the present. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 267 - The Second World War
Examines causes and consequences of the Second World War. Includes the rise of totalitarianism, American neutrality, military developments, the home fronts, diplomacy, and the decision to use the atomic bomb.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 268 - The American Constitution
Analyzes the origin and development of the United States Constitution. Includes the evolution of civil liberties, property rights, contracts, due process, judicial review, federal-state relationships, and corporate-government relations.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 276 - United States History Since World War II
Investigates United States history from 1945 to the present, studying both domestic developments and American involvement in international affairs.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 277 - The American Experience in Vietnam
Analyzes American involvement in Vietnam from World War II with emphasis on the presidencies of Johnson, Nixon and Ford.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 279 - Age of the American Revolution
Examines the factors that led to the separation of the American colonies from Great Britain. The course covers the events leading to the Revolutionary War, the problems faced by the revolutionary government in fighting the war, the war itself, and the postwar events leading to the adoption of the United States Constitution.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 280 - American Foreign Policy Since 1890
Examines American foreign policy since 1890 with an emphasis on current events and diverse points of view.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 281 - History of Virginia I
Examines the cultural, political, and economic history of the Commonwealth from its beginning to the present. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 282 - History of Virginia II
Examines the cultural, political, and economic history of the Commonwealth from its beginning to the present. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
HIS 295 - Topics In
1-5 credits