Mental Health (MEN) at Blue Ridge Community College

Advanced Search

Distance Learning
Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
MEN 101 - Mental Health Skill Training I
Develops skills necessary to function as a mental health worker, with emphasis on guided practice in counseling skills as well as improved self-awareness. Includes training in problem-solving, goal-setting, and implementation of appropriate strategies and evaluation techniques relating to interaction involving a variety of client needs. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
MEN 102 - Mental Health Skill Training II
Develops skills necessary to function as a mental health worker, with emphasis on guided practice in counseling skills as well as improved self-awareness. Includes training in problem-solving, goal-setting, and implementation of appropriate strategies and evaluation techniques relating to interaction involving a variety of client needs. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
MEN 121 - Intellectual Disabilities I
Explores current problems and social, cultural and legal issues involved in therapeutic interventions for understanding and programs relating to individuals with intellectual disabilities. Part I of II.
(3 Cr.) Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
MEN 135 - Human Services and the Law
Examines current issues in mental health and impact of federal and state laws on delivery of services. Considers issues of civil commitment of the mentally ill and confidentiality and rights of clients.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
MEN 190 - Coordinated Internship
Supervises on-the-job training in selected business, industrial or service firms coordinated by the college.
Credit/practice ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
MEN 221 - Group Process I
Studies the stages of group development, role of the group leader, and contemporary models of group counseling utilized in mental health counseling. Includes experiential training in group leadership. Prerequisite MEN 101-102. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
MEN 225 - Counseling Therapy
Studies various models of counseling theories and appropriate application of counseling techniques in the helping profession.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
MEN 290 - Coordinated Internship
1-5 credits
MEN 298 - Seminar and Project
Requires completion of a project or research report related to the student's occupational objectives and a study of approaches to the selection and pursuit of career opportunities in the field.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits