Arts (ART) at Germanna Community College

Advanced Search >>

Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 106 - History of Modern Art
Surveys the history of modern architecture, sculpture, painting, and graphic arts in representational and non- representational forms. Focuses on the periods and movements that influenced the arts of the twentieth century. Emphasizes contemporary art forms, particularly the interaction between art and society, industry, and design.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 116 - Design for the Web I
Introduces the basic elements of web page design: typography, imagery, and color, and examines how they are combined to create effective layouts. Teaches organization of materials, sketching and concept development, site planning and various methods of construction.
Credits - 3. Lecture 2 hours. Studio Instruction - 2 hours. Total Contact - 4 hours per week.
3 credits
View ART 116 Course Content Summary
ART 120 - Beginning Drawing
Introduces principles and practices of the various media used in drawing.
Lecture 1 hour. Studio instruction 2 hours. Total 3 hours per week.
2 credits
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 132 - Fundamentals of Design II
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 141 - Typography I
Studies the history of letterforms and typefaces and examines their uses in contemporary communications media. Emphasizes applications to specific design problems. Includes identification and specification of type and uses current technologies for copy fitting and hands-on typesetting problems. Part I of II.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills.
3-4 credits
View ART 141 Course Content Summary
ART 180 - Introduction to Computer Graphics
Provides a working introduction to computer-based electronic technology used by visual artists and designers. Presents the basics of operating platforms and standard industry software. Introduces problems in which students can explore creative potential of the new electronic media environment.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 203 - Animation I
Introduces the student to the basic techniques of animation, combining traditional and computer-generated skills. Teaches theoretical elements of the aesthetics of sequential imagery. Provides practical experience in two-dimensional and/or three-dimensional animation. Exposes the student to a variety of animation techniques.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
View ART 203 Course Content Summary
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
View ART 241 Course Content Summary
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 265 - Graphic Techniques
Applies the study of printing processes and production techniques used in preparation of design files for professional printing. Teaches print production terminology, image and typography specifications, as well as technical skills using current technology and software.
Credit Hours: 3-4. Lecture 2 hours. Lab Hours: 2-4. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills Co-requisite is ART 141 Typography I
3-4 credits
View ART 265 Course Content Summary
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 287 - Portfolio and Resume Preparation
Focuses on portfolio preparation, resume writing, and job interviewing for students. Recommended for final semester program students. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 0-4 hours. Total 1-6 hours per week.
1-4 credits