Arts (ART) at Lord Fairfax Community College

Advanced Search
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
ART 100 - Art Appreciation
Introduces art from prehistoric times to the present day. Describes architectural styles, sculpture, photography, printmaking, and painting techniques.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 103 - History of Far Eastern Art I
Surveys the history of Far Eastern art from the prehistoric period to the present. Part I focuses on the art of India and Southeast Asia. Part II focuses on the art of China, Japan, and Korea. Emphasizes architecture, painting and sculpture with some instruction in printmaking and decorative arts. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 111 - Introduction to the Arts I
Parallels studio classes and provides a general survey of the arts. Emphasizes perception, using major monuments of painting, sculpture, and architecture as examples. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 114 - General Art
Introduces art to the student without previous training. Provides studio exercises in drawing, painting, and two- and three-dimensional design.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 132 - Fundamentals of Design II
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 138 - Figure Drawing
Develops drawing skills for the beginning and experienced students. Explores a broad range of drawing problems dealing with the human figure in costume using various media and techniques. Prerequisite: ART 120 or divisional approval.
LECTURE 2 HOURS. STUDIO INSTRUCTION 2-4 HOURS. TOTAL 4-6 HOURS PER WEEK.
3-4 credits
ART 153 - Ceramics I
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 5-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 154 - Ceramics II
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 235 - Functional Ceramics
Explores the design and production of functional ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 6-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 236 - Sculptural Ceramics
Explores the design and production of sculptural ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
3-4 credits
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
ART 241 Detailed Outline
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 243 - Watercolor I
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 244 - Watercolor II
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 257 - Introduction to Raku
Presents problems in the design and production of ceramic works using traditional and contemporary western approaches to Raku firing. Explores the art of Raku pottery, focusing on construction, decorating and firing techniques in addition to the aesthetics of the glazed form. Covers the history and aesthetics of the Raku process and how it developed into its present form.
Credits - 3. Lecture - 1 hour. Studio Instruction - 4 hours. Total Contact - 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 257 Detailed Outline
ART 271 - Printmaking I
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 272 - Printmaking II
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 287 - Portfolio and Resume Preparation
Focuses on portfolio preparation, resume writing, and job interviewing for students. Recommended for final semester program students. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 0-4 hours. Total 1-6 hours per week.
1-4 credits
ART 295 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits