Arts (ART) at Northern Virginia Community College

Advanced Search

Distance Learning
Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
ART 100 - Art Appreciation
Introduces art from prehistoric times to the present day. Describes architectural styles, sculpture, photography, printmaking, and painting techniques.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 103 - History of Far Eastern Art I
Surveys the history of Far Eastern art from the prehistoric period to the present. Part I focuses on the art of India and Southeast Asia. Part II focuses on the art of China, Japan, and Korea. Emphasizes architecture, painting and sculpture with some instruction in printmaking and decorative arts. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 105 - Art in World Culture
Approaches the visual arts conceptually rather than historically. Develops a non-technical understanding of spatial arts such as architecture and industrial design. Includes painting, sculpture, and graphics.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 106 - History of Modern Art
Surveys the history of modern architecture, sculpture, painting, and graphic arts in representational and non- representational forms. Focuses on the periods and movements that influenced the arts of the twentieth century. Emphasizes contemporary art forms, particularly the interaction between art and society, industry, and design.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 115 - Current Issues in Web Design
Explores contemporary subjects and current trends pertaining to web design. Emphasizes the roles of design and production techniques fundamental to web development.
Lecture 1 hour per week.
1 credits
ART 116 - Design for the Web I
Introduces the basic elements of web page design: typography, imagery, and color, and examines how they are combined to create effective layouts. Teaches organization of materials, sketching and concept development, site planning and various methods of construction.
Credits - 3. Lecture 2 hours. Studio Instruction - 2 hours. Total Contact - 4 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 116 Detailed Outline
ART 117 - Design for the Web II
Continues the study of design concepts introduced in Design for the Web I (ART 116). Concentrates on the addition of animation, sound, and interactivity to the web pages. Explores advanced design problems.
Credits - 3. Lecture - 2 hours. Studio Instruction - 2 hours. Total Contact - 4 hours per week.
ART 116
3 credits
ART 117 Detailed Outline
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 130 - Introduction to Multimedia
Introduces the student to the basic components of multimedia: text, graphics, animation, sound, and video, and explores how they combine to create a multimedia product. Emphasizes the design aspects of multimedia projects and teaches the techniques required to develop a presentation.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Computer literacy is suggested.
3-4 credits
ART 130 Detailed Outline
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 132 - Fundamentals of Design II
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 134 - Three Dimensional Design
Explores the concepts of three dimensional design applicable to all fields of Visual Art. Covers tools and techniques. Uses computers as appropriate for research.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Laboratory 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 134 Detailed Outline
ART 135 - Visual Communications
Studies intermediate design concepts applicable to all fields of communication arts.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week
Prerequisite ART 131.
3-4 credits
ART 135 Detailed Outline
ART 140 - Introduction to Graphic Skills
Teaches basic studio skills and concepts. Emphasizes concept development and problem solving using traditional art materials and computer techniques. Uses current graphic software applications.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 1-2 hours, Lab 4 hours, Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 140 Detailed Outline
ART 141 - Typography I
Studies the history of letterforms and typefaces and examines their uses in contemporary communications media. Emphasizes applications to specific design problems. Includes identification and specification of type and uses current technologies for copy fitting and hands-on typesetting problems. Part I of II.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills.
3-4 credits
ART 141 Detailed Outline
ART 142 - Typography II
Examines advanced applications of the studies completed in Typography I. Explores the use of typography in layout and design. Requires projects based on professional level problems designed to test the student's practical knowledge as well as his or her creative ability. Applies computer techniques for working with type. Part II of II.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 1-2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week. Part II of II
Prerequisites are ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills and ART 141 Typography I or divisional approval.
3-4 credits
ART 142 Detailed Outline
ART 150 - History of Film and Animation
Exposes the student to the rich history of temporal imagery from the invention of the zoetrope and kinetoscope through the rise of the moving picture industry and the development of the first animated films to present day television. Chronicles the impact of the moving image in the Twentieth century. Discusses the design and concept of influential works as well as the relationship between these earlier forms of moving graphics and today's innovative video technology.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 153 - Ceramics I
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 5-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 154 - Ceramics II
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 160 - Film Production I
Introduces students to the basic techniques and procedures involved in motion picture production. Emphasizes aspects of filmmaking from scripting and preproduction through editing and postproduction. Includes the exploration of professional film crew roles in grip, lighting, production management, directing, sound and editing. Part I of II. This course is cross-listed with PHT 150. Credit will not be awarded for both.
Lecture 2 hours. Lab 2 hours. Total 4 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 160 Detailed Outline
ART 161 - Film Production II
Reinforces techniques covered in Film Production I emphasizing technical and theoretical aspects of the filmmaking process. Requires student collaboration on film assignments from scripting and preproduction through editing and postproduction, and roles in grip, lighting, production management, directing, sound, and editing. Part II of II. This course is cross-listed with PHT 151. Credit will not be awarded for both.
Film Production I
3 credits
ART 161 Detailed Outline
ART 175 - Photography Workshop
Introduces basic camera operations and darkroom techniques.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 6 hours per week.
4 credits
ART 190 - Coordinated Internship
Supervises on-the-job training in selected business, industrial or service firms coordinated by the college.
Credit/practice ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 193 - Studies In
Covers new content not covered in existing courses in the discipline. Allows instructor to explore content and instructional methods to assess the course's viability as a permanent offering.
Variable hours per week.
1-5 credits
ART 196 - On-Site Training
Specializes in career orientation and training program without pay in selected businesses and industry, supervised and coordinated by the college.
Credit/work ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 197 - Cooperative Education
Supervises in on-the-job training for pay in approved business, industrial and service firms, coordinated by the college's cooperative education office. Is applicable to all occupational- technical curricula at the discretion of the college.
1-5 credits
ART 199 - Supervised Study
Assigns problems for independent study incorporating previous instruction and supervised by the instructor.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 203 - Animation I
Introduces the student to the basic techniques of animation, combining traditional and computer-generated skills. Teaches theoretical elements of the aesthetics of sequential imagery. Provides practical experience in two-dimensional and/or three-dimensional animation. Exposes the student to a variety of animation techniques.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 203 Detailed Outline
ART 204 - Animation II
Builds on the student's skills in the techniques of animation developed in ART 203 Animation 1. Emphasizes computer-generated, high-quality animations. Teaches the advanced techniques of two- and three-dimensional computer animation.
Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 203 Animation 1. Pre or Co-requisite is ART 207 3D Model Rendering.
3-4 credits
ART 204 Detailed Outline
ART 207 - 3D Model Rendering
Provides the student with an advanced understanding of the principles of building three-dimensional objects, characters, and interior and exterior environments with current industry software.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 6 hours per week.
Prerequisites are ART 130 Multimedia I and ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I.
3-4 credits
ART 207 Detailed Outline
ART 208 - Video Techniques
Addresses the fundamentals of video technology and non-linear video editing. Focuses on the aesthetics of time-code editing using current industry software. Teaches a student to shoot and capture video and record and edit sound, and combine artwork, animation, video, and sound in the creation of professional-quality original video projects.
3-4 credits
ART 208 Detailed Outline
ART 209 - Creative Concepts and Writing
Focuses on the generation of creative verbal/visual concepts and the techniques of effective written communication necessary for success in the graphic design industry.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 217 - Graphic Design I
Focuses on creative concepts and skills necessary for graphic design problem solving using current technology. Includes techniques specific to computer applications for the production of print design using text and image. Part I of II.
3-4 Credits - Lecture 2 hours. Lab Hours: 2-4. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I, ART 135 Visual Communications, ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills, and ART 141 Typography I. Co-requisites are ART 142 Typography II, and ART 265 Graphic Techniques
3-4 credits
ART 217 Detailed Outline
ART 218 - Graphic Design II
Builds on the studies completed in Graphic Design I. Teaches advanced problem solving skills, concept development and project management.Applies intermediate level production techniques to 2D and 3D graphic design using current technologies and principles of pre-press production. Part II of II.
Credit Hours 3-4. Lecture 2 hours. Lab 2-4 hours. Contact 4-6 hours per week.
ART 217 Graphic Design I and its prerequisites are prerequisite for this course.
3-4 credits
ART 218 Detailed Outline
ART 220 - Advanced Design for the Web
Presents advanced features of web design and technology used by designers. Explores advanced design problems.
Prerequisites: ART 116 and ART 117 or divisional approval.
3 credits
ART 220 Detailed Outline
ART 221 - Drawing III
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studion instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 222 - Drawing IV
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 231 - Sculpture I
Introduces sculptural concepts and methods of production in traditional and contemporary media. Includes clay, plaster, wood, stone, metal, plastics and terra cotta. May include field trips. Prerequisite ART 131. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 232 - Sculpture II
Introduces sculptural concepts and methods of production in traditional and contemporary media. Includes clay, plaster, wood, stone, metal, plastics and terra cotta. May include field trips. Prerequisite ART 131. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 235 - Functional Ceramics
Explores the design and production of functional ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 6-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 236 - Sculptural Ceramics
Explores the design and production of sculptural ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
3-4 credits
ART 237 - Ceramic Decoration
Explores ceramic decoration techniques used in functional and non-functional ceramics. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
3-4 credits
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
ART 241 Detailed Outline
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 243 - Watercolor I
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 244 - Watercolor II
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 247 - Painting Techniques for Illustrators
Introduces materials and techniques used by the illustrator. Includes water-soluble paints (watercolor, acrylic, gouache), oil-based paints, and mixed media.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio Instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 247 Detailed Outline
ART 250 - History of Design
Surveys the development of graphic design and illustration with emphasis on the 19th and 20th centuries. Analyzes the work of outstanding designers and illustrators.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 251 - Communication Design I
Studies the principles of visual communications as applied to advertising in newspapers, magazines, direct mail advertising, house organs, etc. Analyzes the influence of contemporary art on design. Prerequisites ART 131 and ART 140. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 252 - Communication Design II
Studies the principles of visual communications as applied to advertising in newspapers, magazines, direct mail advertising, house organs, etc. Analyzes the influence of contemporary art on design. Prerequisites ART 131 and ART 140. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 263 - Interactive Design I
Focuses on conceptualization and problem solving for interactive design. Instructs students in techniques specific to web, multimedia for the web and other Interactive design projects using current technology and standards. Interactive functionality and usability are covered. Part I of II.
(3-4 Credits) Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I, ART 135 Visual Communications, ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills, and ART 141 Typography.
3-4 credits
ART 263 Detailed Outline
ART 264 - Interactive Design II
Builds on the studies completed in Interactive Design I. Focuses on conceptualization and problem solving for interactive design. Instructs students in intermediate techniques specific to web, multimedia for the web and other interactive design projects using current technology and standards. Includes interactive documents and experiences. Part II of II.
(3-4 Credits) Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I, ART 135 Visual Communications, ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills, ART 141 Typography, and ART 263 Interactive Design I Co-requisite is ART 142 Typography II
3-4 credits
ART 264 Detailed Outline
ART 265 - Graphic Techniques
Applies the study of printing processes and production techniques used in preparation of design files for professional printing. Teaches print production terminology, image and typography specifications, as well as technical skills using current technology and software.
Credit Hours: 3-4. Lecture 2 hours. Lab Hours: 2-4. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills Co-requisite is ART 141 Typography I
3-4 credits
ART 265 Detailed Outline
ART 266 - Package Design
Studies the role of packaging in product identification, presentation, and production. Investigates the unique challenges of typography, illustration and design from 2D to 3D forms. Researches business goals, marketing objectives, packaging structure, and display aesthetics. Applies the principles of design and foundations of typography in final production of products.
3 credits
ART 266 Detailed Outline
ART 267 - Integrated Design Techniques
Studies the use of design and technology skills for development of visual ideas across an array of delivery platforms, such as web, print and motion. Focus on the development of holistic design ideas. Integrates techniques for the design, implementation, development and production of print, web, motion, and interactive projects.
3 credits
ART 267 Detailed Outline
ART 268 - Professional Practices in Communication Design
Focuses on the business practices, ethical issues, and design issues present within the professional world of communication design.
Credits - 3. Lecture - 2 hours. Studio Instruction - 2 hours. Total Contact - 4 hours.
3 credits
ART 268 Detailed Outline
ART 269 - Advanced Typography
Focuses on the history, cultural, social, political, cognitive, ethical, and aesthetic contexts of typography in past and contemporary communications media. Emphasizes applications to specific design problems that builds on studies completed in Typography I (ART 141) and Typography II (ART 142).
ART 141 and ART 142.
3 credits
ART 269 Detailed Outline
ART 270 - Motion Graphics I
Introduces fundamental concepts for motion graphics, including graphics and promos for television networks and film titles and logs for advertising. Focuses on design presentation and development, screen composition, graphic transitions and content.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Laboratory 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 271 - Printmaking I
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 272 - Printmaking II
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 277 - Advanced Printmaking
Provides additional opportunity for individual exploration in selected printmaking processes.
4 credits
ART 278 - 3D Computer Design I
Introduces fundamental concepts in 3D model building and animation: spline extrusion and motion, point editing, texture and mapping, ray tracing, rotoscoping, physical simulations, forward and inverse kinematics. Prerequisite: ART 283 for part I or instructor's permission; part I for part II. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 4 hours. Total 6 hours per week.
4 credits
ART 279 - 3D Computer Design II
Introduces fundamental concepts in 3D model building and animation: spline extrusion and motion, point editing, texture and mapping, ray tracing, rotoscoping, physical simulations, forward and inverse kinematics. Prerequisite: ART 283 for part I or instructor's permission; part I for part II. Part II of II.
4 credits
ART 280 - Graphic Design for Studio Arts
Introduces digital tools, software, and techniques used by visual artists and design professionals to create day-to-day business forms, documents and self-promotional material. Explores the fundamental principles of layout and design that govern the use of image, type and color. Presents professional standards and practices used for organizing, archiving, printing and presenting their work.
Lecture 2 hours per week. Laboratory 3 hours per week. 3 Credits.
ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I and PHT 101 Photography I
3 credits
ART 280 Detailed Outline
ART 281 - Illustration for Designers
Explores the professional field of illustration, along with the different ways of producing illustrations for editorial, commercial, and technical clients using traditional and digital techniques. Build skills and knowledge through discussions, projects and exercises for positioning as an illustrator.
3 credits
ART 281 Detailed Outline
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 287 - Portfolio and Resume Preparation
Focuses on portfolio preparation, resume writing, and job interviewing for students. Recommended for final semester program students. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 0-4 hours. Total 1-6 hours per week.
1-4 credits
ART 290 - Coordinated Internship
1-5 credits
ART 293 - Studies In
Variable hours per week.
1-5 credits
ART 295 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 297 - Cooperative Education
1-6 credits
ART 298 - Seminar and Project
Requires completion of a project or research report related to the student's occupational objectives and a study of approaches to the selection and pursuit of career opportunities in the field.
1-5 credits
ART 299 - Supervised Study
1-5 credits