Arts (ART) at Piedmont Community College

Advanced Search
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
ART 100 - Art Appreciation
Introduces art from prehistoric times to the present day. Describes architectural styles, sculpture, photography, printmaking, and painting techniques.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 109 - History of Women Artists
Surveys the work of women artists through history, with emphasis on the role of women artists.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 125 - Introduction to Painting
Introduces study of color, composition and painting techniques. Places emphasis on experimentation and enjoyment of oil and/or acrylic paints and the fundamentals of tools and materials.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 130 - Introduction to Multimedia
Introduces the student to the basic components of multimedia: text, graphics, animation, sound, and video, and explores how they combine to create a multimedia product. Emphasizes the design aspects of multimedia projects and teaches the techniques required to develop a presentation.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Computer literacy is suggested.
3-4 credits
ART 130 Detailed Outline
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 132 - Fundamentals of Design II
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 138 - Figure Drawing
Develops drawing skills for the beginning and experienced students. Explores a broad range of drawing problems dealing with the human figure in costume using various media and techniques. Prerequisite: ART 120 or divisional approval.
LECTURE 2 HOURS. STUDIO INSTRUCTION 2-4 HOURS. TOTAL 4-6 HOURS PER WEEK.
3-4 credits
ART 141 - Typography I
Studies the history of letterforms and typefaces and examines their uses in contemporary communications media. Emphasizes applications to specific design problems. Includes identification and specification of type and uses current technologies for copy fitting and hands-on typesetting problems. Part I of II.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills.
3-4 credits
ART 141 Detailed Outline
ART 150 - History of Film and Animation
Exposes the student to the rich history of temporal imagery from the invention of the zoetrope and kinetoscope through the rise of the moving picture industry and the development of the first animated films to present day television. Chronicles the impact of the moving image in the Twentieth century. Discusses the design and concept of influential works as well as the relationship between these earlier forms of moving graphics and today's innovative video technology.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 153 - Ceramics I
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 5-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 154 - Ceramics II
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 180 - Introduction to Computer Graphics
Provides a working introduction to computer-based electronic technology used by visual artists and designers. Presents the basics of operating platforms and standard industry software. Introduces problems in which students can explore creative potential of the new electronic media environment.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 190 - Coordinated Internship
Supervises on-the-job training in selected business, industrial or service firms coordinated by the college.
Credit/practice ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 195 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 203 - Animation I
Introduces the student to the basic techniques of animation, combining traditional and computer-generated skills. Teaches theoretical elements of the aesthetics of sequential imagery. Provides practical experience in two-dimensional and/or three-dimensional animation. Exposes the student to a variety of animation techniques.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 203 Detailed Outline
ART 207 - 3D Model Rendering
Provides the student with an advanced understanding of the principles of building three-dimensional objects, characters, and interior and exterior environments with current industry software.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 6 hours per week.
Prerequisites are ART 130 Multimedia I and ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I.
3-4 credits
ART 207 Detailed Outline
ART 208 - Video Techniques
Addresses the fundamentals of video technology and non-linear video editing. Focuses on the aesthetics of time-code editing using current industry software. Teaches a student to shoot and capture video and record and edit sound, and combine artwork, animation, video, and sound in the creation of professional-quality original video projects.
3-4 credits
ART 208 Detailed Outline
ART 231 - Sculpture I
Introduces sculptural concepts and methods of production in traditional and contemporary media. Includes clay, plaster, wood, stone, metal, plastics and terra cotta. May include field trips. Prerequisite ART 131. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studion instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 232 - Sculpture II
Introduces sculptural concepts and methods of production in traditional and contemporary media. Includes clay, plaster, wood, stone, metal, plastics and terra cotta. May include field trips. Prerequisite ART 131. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 235 - Functional Ceramics
Explores the design and production of functional ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 6-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 236 - Sculptural Ceramics
Explores the design and production of sculptural ceramics, including handbuilding and use of the wheel. Prerequisite ART 154 or divisional approval.
3-4 credits
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
ART 241 Detailed Outline
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 251 - Communication Design I
Studies the principles of visual communications as applied to advertising in newspapers, magazines, direct mail advertising, house organs, etc. Analyzes the influence of contemporary art on design. Prerequisites ART 131 and ART 140. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 252 - Communication Design II
Studies the principles of visual communications as applied to advertising in newspapers, magazines, direct mail advertising, house organs, etc. Analyzes the influence of contemporary art on design. Prerequisites ART 131 and ART 140. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 263 - Interactive Design I
Focuses on conceptualization and problem solving for interactive design. Instructs students in techniques specific to web, multimedia for the web and other Interactive design projects using current technology and standards. Interactive functionality and usability are covered. Part I of II.
(3-4 Credits) Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I, ART 135 Visual Communications, ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills, and ART 141 Typography.
3-4 credits
ART 263 Detailed Outline
ART 270 - Motion Graphics I
Introduces fundamental concepts for motion graphics, including graphics and promos for television networks and film titles and logs for advertising. Focuses on design presentation and development, screen composition, graphic transitions and content.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Laboratory 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 271 - Printmaking I
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 272 - Printmaking II
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 295 - Topics In
1-5 credits