English (ENG) at Piedmont Community College

Advanced Search >>

Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

ENG 111 - College Composition I
Introduces students to critical thinking and the fundamentals of academic writing. Through the writing process, students refine topics: develop and support ideas; investigate, evaluate, and incorporate appropriate resources; edit for effective style and usage; and determine appropriate approaches for a variety of contexts, audiences, and purposes. Writing activities will include exposition and argumentation with at least one researched essay. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 112 - College Composition II
Continues to develop college writing with increased emphasis on critical essays, argumentation, and research, developing these competencies through the examination of a range of texts about the human experience. Requires students to locate, evaluate, integrate, and document sources and effectively edit for style and usage. Prerequisite: Students must successfully complete ENG 111 or its equivalent, and must be able to use word processing software.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 121 - Introduction to Journalism I
Introduces students to all news media, especially news gathering and preparation for print. Prerequisite ENG 111 OR 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 122 - Introduction to Journalism II
Introduces students to all news media, especially news gathering and preparation for print. Prerequisite ENG 111 OR 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 210 - Advanced Composition
Helps students refine skills in writing non-fiction prose. Guides development of individual voice and style. Introduces procedures for publication. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 211 - Creative Writing I
Introduces the student to the fundamentals of writing imaginatively. Students write in forms to be selected from poetry, fiction, drama, and essays. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 212 - Creative Writing II
Introduces the student to the fundamentals of writing imaginatively. Students write in forms to be selected from poetry, fiction, drama, and essays. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 241 - Survey of American Literature I
Examines American literary works from colonial times to the present, emphasizing the ideas and characteristics of our national literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 242 - Survey of American Literature II
Examines American literary works from colonial times to the present, emphasizing the ideas and characteristics of our national literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 243 - Survey of English Literature I
Studies major English works from the Anglo-Saxon period to the present, emphasizing ideas and characteristics of the British literary tradition. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 244 - Survey of English Literature II
Studies major English works from the Anglo-Saxon period to the present, emphasizing ideas and characteristics of the British literary tradition. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 246 - Major American Writers
Examines major writers of American literary history. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 250 - Children's Literature
Surveys the history, development and genres of children's literature, focusing on analysis of texts for literary qualities and in terms of audience.
Credit Hours: 3: Lecture Hours: 3: Lab Hours: 0: Total Contact Hours: 3
Prerequisite(s): ENG 112 or 125 (or divisional approval).
3 credits
View ENG 250 Course Content Summary
ENG 251 - Survey of World Literature I
Examines major works of world literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 252 - Survey of World Literature II
Examines major works of world literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 253 - Survey of African-American Literature I
Examines selected works by Black American writers from the colonial period to the present. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 254 - Survey of African-American Literature II
Examines selected works by Black American writers from the colonial period to the present. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 255 - Major Writers in World Literature
Examines major writers selected from a variety of literary traditions. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 271 - The Works of Shakespeare I
Examines selected works of Shakespeare. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 272 - The Works of Shakespeare II
Examines selected works of Shakespeare. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 273 - Women in Literature I
Examines literature by and about women. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 274 - Women in Literature II
Examines literature by and about women. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 290 - Coordinated Internship
Supervises on-the-job training in selected business, industrial or service firms coordinated by the college.
Credit/practice ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ENG 299 - Supervised Study
Assigns problems for independent study incorporating previous instruction and supervised by the instructor.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits