Arts (ART) at Rappahannock Community College

Advanced Search

Distance Learning
Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
ART 100 - Art Appreciation
Introduces art from prehistoric times to the present day. Describes architectural styles, sculpture, photography, printmaking, and painting techniques.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 103 - History of Far Eastern Art I
Surveys the history of Far Eastern art from the prehistoric period to the present. Part I focuses on the art of India and Southeast Asia. Part II focuses on the art of China, Japan, and Korea. Emphasizes architecture, painting and sculpture with some instruction in printmaking and decorative arts. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 105 - Art in World Culture
Approaches the visual arts conceptually rather than historically. Develops a non-technical understanding of spatial arts such as architecture and industrial design. Includes painting, sculpture, and graphics.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 106 - History of Modern Art
Surveys the history of modern architecture, sculpture, painting, and graphic arts in representational and non- representational forms. Focuses on the periods and movements that influenced the arts of the twentieth century. Emphasizes contemporary art forms, particularly the interaction between art and society, industry, and design.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 109 - History of Women Artists
Surveys the work of women artists through history, with emphasis on the role of women artists.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 111 - Introduction to the Arts I
Parallels studio classes and provides a general survey of the arts. Emphasizes perception, using major monuments of painting, sculpture, and architecture as examples. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 114 - General Art
Introduces art to the student without previous training. Provides studio exercises in drawing, painting, and two- and three-dimensional design.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 116 - Design for the Web I
Introduces the basic elements of web page design: typography, imagery, and color, and examines how they are combined to create effective layouts. Teaches organization of materials, sketching and concept development, site planning and various methods of construction.
Credits - 3. Lecture 2 hours. Studio Instruction - 2 hours. Total Contact - 4 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 116 Detailed Outline
ART 117 - Design for the Web II
Continues the study of design concepts introduced in Design for the Web I (ART 116). Concentrates on the addition of animation, sound, and interactivity to the web pages. Explores advanced design problems.
Credits - 3. Lecture - 2 hours. Studio Instruction - 2 hours. Total Contact - 4 hours per week.
ART 116
3 credits
ART 117 Detailed Outline
ART 120 - Beginning Drawing
Introduces principles and practices of the various media used in drawing.
Lecture 1 hour. Studio instruction 2 hours. Total 3 hours per week.
2 credits
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 125 - Introduction to Painting
Introduces study of color, composition and painting techniques. Places emphasis on experimentation and enjoyment of oil and/or acrylic paints and the fundamentals of tools and materials.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 132 - Fundamentals of Design II
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 133 - Visual Arts Foundation
Covers tools and techniques, design concepts and principles, color theory and an introduction to the computer for graphic use. Applies to all fields of Visual Art.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 4 hours. Total 6 hours per week.
4 credits
ART 134 - Three Dimensional Design
Explores the concepts of three dimensional design applicable to all fields of Visual Art. Covers tools and techniques. Uses computers as appropriate for research.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Laboratory 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 134 Detailed Outline
ART 135 - Visual Communications
Studies intermediate design concepts applicable to all fields of communication arts.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week
Prerequisite ART 131.
3-4 credits
ART 135 Detailed Outline
ART 138 - Figure Drawing
Develops drawing skills for the beginning and experienced students. Explores a broad range of drawing problems dealing with the human figure in costume using various media and techniques. Prerequisite: ART 120 or divisional approval.
LECTURE 2 HOURS. STUDIO INSTRUCTION 2-4 HOURS. TOTAL 4-6 HOURS PER WEEK.
3-4 credits
ART 140 - Introduction to Graphic Skills
Teaches basic studio skills and concepts. Emphasizes concept development and problem solving using traditional art materials and computer techniques. Uses current graphic software applications.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 1-2 hours, Lab 4 hours, Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 140 Detailed Outline
ART 141 - Typography I
Studies the history of letterforms and typefaces and examines their uses in contemporary communications media. Emphasizes applications to specific design problems. Includes identification and specification of type and uses current technologies for copy fitting and hands-on typesetting problems. Part I of II.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills.
3-4 credits
ART 141 Detailed Outline
ART 150 - History of Film and Animation
Exposes the student to the rich history of temporal imagery from the invention of the zoetrope and kinetoscope through the rise of the moving picture industry and the development of the first animated films to present day television. Chronicles the impact of the moving image in the Twentieth century. Discusses the design and concept of influential works as well as the relationship between these earlier forms of moving graphics and today's innovative video technology.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 153 - Ceramics I
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 5-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 154 - Ceramics II
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 175 - Photography Workshop
Introduces basic camera operations and darkroom techniques.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 6 hours per week.
4 credits
ART 180 - Introduction to Computer Graphics
Provides a working introduction to computer-based electronic technology used by visual artists and designers. Presents the basics of operating platforms and standard industry software. Introduces problems in which students can explore creative potential of the new electronic media environment.
3 credits
ART 195 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 199 - Supervised Study
Assigns problems for independent study incorporating previous instruction and supervised by the instructor.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 201 - History of Art I
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 202 - History of Art II
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 203 - Animation I
Introduces the student to the basic techniques of animation, combining traditional and computer-generated skills. Teaches theoretical elements of the aesthetics of sequential imagery. Provides practical experience in two-dimensional and/or three-dimensional animation. Exposes the student to a variety of animation techniques.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 203 Detailed Outline
ART 211 - History of American Art I
Surveys the history of American art from the 1600's to the present. Emphasizes architecture, sculpture, and painting. Includes crafts, decorative arts, and photography. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 212 - History of American Art II
Surveys the history of American art from the 1600's to the present. Emphasizes architecture, sculpture, and painting. Includes crafts, decorative arts, and photography. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 217 - Graphic Design I
Focuses on creative concepts and skills necessary for graphic design problem solving using current technology. Includes techniques specific to computer applications for the production of print design using text and image. Part I of II.
3-4 Credits - Lecture 2 hours. Lab Hours: 2-4. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I, ART 135 Visual Communications, ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills, and ART 141 Typography I. Co-requisites are ART 142 Typography II, and ART 265 Graphic Techniques
3-4 credits
ART 217 Detailed Outline
ART 221 - Drawing III
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studion instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 222 - Drawing IV
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 231 - Sculpture I
Introduces sculptural concepts and methods of production in traditional and contemporary media. Includes clay, plaster, wood, stone, metal, plastics and terra cotta. May include field trips. Prerequisite ART 131. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 232 - Sculpture II
Introduces sculptural concepts and methods of production in traditional and contemporary media. Includes clay, plaster, wood, stone, metal, plastics and terra cotta. May include field trips. Prerequisite ART 131. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
ART 241 Detailed Outline
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 243 - Watercolor I
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 244 - Watercolor II
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 246 - Figure Painting
Concentrates on the human figure as subject matter for painting. Emphasizes composition as it relates to figure study. Explores formal and informal approaches to include representation and abstraction using various painting media.
ART 241
3 credits
ART 271 - Printmaking I
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 287 - Portfolio and Resume Preparation
Focuses on portfolio preparation, resume writing, and job interviewing for students. Recommended for final semester program students. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 0-4 hours. Total 1-6 hours per week.
1-4 credits
ART 295 - Topics In
1-5 credits