Arts (ART) at Southside Virginia Community College

Advanced Search

Distance Learning
Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 111 - Introduction to the Arts I
Parallels studio classes and provides a general survey of the arts. Emphasizes perception, using major monuments of painting, sculpture, and architecture as examples. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 114 - General Art
Introduces art to the student without previous training. Provides studio exercises in drawing, painting, and two- and three-dimensional design.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 116 - Design for the Web I
Introduces the basic elements of web page design: typography, imagery, and color, and examines how they are combined to create effective layouts. Teaches organization of materials, sketching and concept development, site planning and various methods of construction.
Credits - 3. Lecture 2 hours. Studio Instruction - 2 hours. Total Contact - 4 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 116 Detailed Outline
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 125 - Introduction to Painting
Introduces study of color, composition and painting techniques. Places emphasis on experimentation and enjoyment of oil and/or acrylic paints and the fundamentals of tools and materials.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 130 - Introduction to Multimedia
Introduces the student to the basic components of multimedia: text, graphics, animation, sound, and video, and explores how they combine to create a multimedia product. Emphasizes the design aspects of multimedia projects and teaches the techniques required to develop a presentation.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Computer literacy is suggested.
3-4 credits
ART 130 Detailed Outline
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 134 - Three Dimensional Design
Explores the concepts of three dimensional design applicable to all fields of Visual Art. Covers tools and techniques. Uses computers as appropriate for research.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Laboratory 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 134 Detailed Outline
ART 153 - Ceramics I
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-2 hours. Studio instruction 4-6 hours. Total 5-8 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 154 - Ceramics II
Presents problems in the design and production of functional and non-functional ceramic works. Includes handbuilding the potter's wheel and clays and glazes. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 180 - Introduction to Computer Graphics
Provides a working introduction to computer-based electronic technology used by visual artists and designers. Presents the basics of operating platforms and standard industry software. Introduces problems in which students can explore creative potential of the new electronic media environment.
3 credits
ART 183 - Introduction to Art Therapy
Introduces the history of art therapy, contemporary approaches and various settings in which art therapy may occur. Provides instruction in the use of art materials in therapy, dynamics of the creative process, and psychological theory. Reviews educational steps leading to a successful career in art therapy.
Credits - 3. Lecture - 3 hours. Total - 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 183 Detailed Outline
ART 195 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 196 - On-Site Training
Specializes in career orientation and training program without pay in selected businesses and industry, supervised and coordinated by the college.
Credit/work ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 198 - Seminar and Project
Requires completion of a project or research report related to the student's occupational objectives and a study of approaches to the selection and pursuit of career opportunities in the field.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ART 208 - Video Techniques
Addresses the fundamentals of video technology and non-linear video editing. Focuses on the aesthetics of time-code editing using current industry software. Teaches a student to shoot and capture video and record and edit sound, and combine artwork, animation, video, and sound in the creation of professional-quality original video projects.
3-4 credits
ART 208 Detailed Outline
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
ART 241 Detailed Outline
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 243 - Watercolor I
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 244 - Watercolor II
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 278 - 3D Computer Design I
Introduces fundamental concepts in 3D model building and animation: spline extrusion and motion, point editing, texture and mapping, ray tracing, rotoscoping, physical simulations, forward and inverse kinematics. Prerequisite: ART 283 for part I or instructor's permission; part I for part II. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 4 hours. Total 6 hours per week.
4 credits
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 295 - Topics In
1-5 credits