Communication Studies and Theatre (CST) at Southside Virginia Community College

Advanced Search >>

Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

CST 100 - Principles of Public Speaking
Applies theory and principles of public address with emphasis on preparation and delivery.
Lecture 3 hour per week.
3 credits
CST 105 - Oral Communication
Studies effective communication with emphasis on speaking and listening.
Lecture 2-3 hours per week.
2-3 credits
CST 110 - Introduction to Communication
Examines the elements affecting speech communication at the individual, small group, and public communication levels with emphasis on practice of communication at each level.
Lecture 2-3 hours per week.
2-3 credits
CST 126 - Interpersonal Communication
Teaches interpersonal communication skills for both daily living and the world of work. Includes perception, self- concept, self-disclosure, listening and feedback, nonverbal communication, attitudes, assertiveness and other interpersonal skills.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 130 - Introduction to the Theatre
Surveys the principles of drama, the development of theatre production, and selected plays to acquaint the student with various types of theatrical presentations.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 131 - Acting I
Develops personal resources and explores performance skills through such activities as theatre games, role playing, improvisation, work on basic script units, and performance of scenes. Part I of IV.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hour. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 132 - Acting II
Develops personal resources and explores performance skills through such activities as theatre games, role playing, improvisation, work on basic script units, and performance of scenes. Part II of IV.
3 credits
CST 136 - Theatre/Musical Workshop
Enables students to work in various activities of a play production or a musical production including performance, orchestra, set design, stage carpentry, sound, costuming, lighting, stage managing, props, promotion, or stage crew. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours per week. This course is cross-listed with MUS 129. Credit will not be awarded for both.
Variable hours per week.
1-6 credits
View CST 136 Course Content Summary
CST 137 - Oral Interpretation
Studies the theory and practice of performing various types of literature: prose, poetry, and drama. Emphasizes the relationship among the oral interpreter, the literary work, and the audience.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 151 - Film Appreciation I
Provides students with a critical understanding of film through the discussion and viewing of motion pictures with emphasis upon the study of film history and the forms and functions of film. Students will develop skills to analyze the shared social, cultural and historical influences of films and their contexts. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 229 - Intercultural Communication
Emphasizes the influence of culture on the communication process including differences in values, message systems, and communication rules.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 231 - History of Theatre I
Analyzes and studies theatre history to include architecture, performers and performance, playwrights, stage, production methods, and audience from the Greeks through modern drama. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 233 - Rehearsal and Performance I
Explores various aspects of the theatre through involvement in college theatre production. Part I of II.
Variable hours per week.
1-4 credits
CST 234 - Rehearsal and Performance II
Explores various aspects of the theatre through involvement in college theatre production. Part II of II.
Variable hours per week.
1-4 credits
CST 241 - Introduction to Directing I
Introduces theory and practice of stage direction through the study of directing methods as well as the execution and discussion of directing exercises. Prerequisite CST 131-132 or SPD 131-132 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2 hours. Total 4 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 267 - Creative Drama
Explores uses of drama through story dramatization, role- playing, and sensory exercises.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits