Arts (ART) at Tidewater Community College

Advanced Search >>
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

ART 101 - History and Appreciation of Art I
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 102 - History and Appreciation of Art II
Presents the history and interpretation of architecture, sculpture, and painting. Begins with prehistoric art and follows the development of western civilization to the present. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 121 - Drawing I
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 122 - Drawing II
Develops basic drawing skills and understanding of visual language through studio instruction/lecture. Introduces concepts such as proportion, space, perspective, tone and composition as applied to still life, landscape and the figure. Uses drawing media such as pencil, charcoal, ink wash and color media. Includes field trips and gallery assignments as appropriate. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 131 - Fundamentals of Design I
Explores the concepts of two- and three-dimensional design and color. May include field trips as required. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 134 - Three Dimensional Design
Explores the concepts of three dimensional design applicable to all fields of Visual Art. Covers tools and techniques. Uses computers as appropriate for research.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Laboratory 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
View ART 134 Course Content Summary
ART 141 - Typography I
Studies the history of letterforms and typefaces and examines their uses in contemporary communications media. Emphasizes applications to specific design problems. Includes identification and specification of type and uses current technologies for copy fitting and hands-on typesetting problems. Part I of II.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours, Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisite is ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills.
3-4 credits
View ART 141 Course Content Summary
ART 183 - Introduction to Art Therapy
Introduces the history of art therapy, contemporary approaches and various settings in which art therapy may occur. Provides instruction in the use of art materials in therapy, dynamics of the creative process, and psychological theory. Reviews educational steps leading to a successful career in art therapy.
Credits - 3. Lecture - 3 hours. Total - 3 hours per week.
3 credits
View ART 183 Course Content Summary
ART 201 - History of Art I
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part I of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 202 - History of Art II
Studies the historical context of art of the ancient, medieval, Renaissance and modern worlds. Includes research project. Part II of II. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 203 - Animation I
Introduces the student to the basic techniques of animation, combining traditional and computer-generated skills. Teaches theoretical elements of the aesthetics of sequential imagery. Provides practical experience in two-dimensional and/or three-dimensional animation. Exposes the student to a variety of animation techniques.
(3-4 Cr.) Lecture 2 hours, Lab 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
View ART 203 Course Content Summary
ART 208 - Video Techniques
Addresses the fundamentals of video technology and non-linear video editing. Focuses on the aesthetics of time-code editing using current industry software. Teaches a student to shoot and capture video and record and edit sound, and combine artwork, animation, video, and sound in the creation of professional-quality original video projects.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
View ART 208 Course Content Summary
ART 209 - Creative Concepts and Writing
Focuses on the generation of creative verbal/visual concepts and the techniques of effective written communication necessary for success in the graphic design industry.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 221 - Drawing III
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studion instruction 4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 222 - Drawing IV
Introduces advanced concepts and techniques of drawing as applied to the figure, still life and landscape. Gives additional instruction in composition, modeling, space and perspective. Encourages individual approaches to drawing. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 231 - Sculpture I
Introduces sculptural concepts and methods of production in traditional and contemporary media. Includes clay, plaster, wood, stone, metal, plastics and terra cotta. May include field trips. Prerequisite ART 131. Part I of II.
3-4 credits
ART 241 - Painting I
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value.
3-4 credits
View ART 241 Course Content Summary
ART 242 - Painting II
Introduces abstract and representational painting in acrylic and/or oil with emphasis on color composition and value. Prerequisites ART 122 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 243 - Watercolor I
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 244 - Watercolor II
Presents abstract and representational painting in watercolor with emphasis on design, color, composition, technique and value. Prerequisite ART 131, or divisional approval. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 245 - Portrait Painting
Explores portrait painting as representational and abstract art. Emphasizes analytical study of the head using a variety of mediums. Prerequisite ART 241 and ART 121.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 250 - History of Design
Surveys the development of graphic design and illustration with emphasis on the 19th and 20th centuries. Analyzes the work of outstanding designers and illustrators.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 251 - Communication Design I
Studies the principles of visual communications as applied to advertising in newspapers, magazines, direct mail advertising, house organs, etc. Analyzes the influence of contemporary art on design. Prerequisites ART 131 and ART 140. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 252 - Communication Design II
Studies the principles of visual communications as applied to advertising in newspapers, magazines, direct mail advertising, house organs, etc. Analyzes the influence of contemporary art on design. Prerequisites ART 131 and ART 140. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 263 - Interactive Design I
Focuses on conceptualization and problem solving for interactive design. Instructs students in techniques specific to web, multimedia for the web and other Interactive design projects using current technology and standards. Interactive functionality and usability are covered. Part I of II.
(3-4 Credits) Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 4-6 hours per week.
Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I, ART 135 Visual Communications, ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills, and ART 141 Typography.
3-4 credits
View ART 263 Course Content Summary
ART 264 - Interactive Design II
Builds on the studies completed in Interactive Design I. Focuses on conceptualization and problem solving for interactive design. Instructs students in intermediate techniques specific to web, multimedia for the web and other interactive design projects using current technology and standards. Includes interactive documents and experiences. Part II of II.
(3-4 Credits) Prerequisites are ART 121 Drawing I, ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I, ART 135 Visual Communications, ART 140 Introduction to Graphic Skills, ART 141 Typography, and ART 263 Interactive Design I Co-requisite is ART 142 Typography II
3-4 credits
View ART 264 Course Content Summary
ART 270 - Motion Graphics I
Introduces fundamental concepts for motion graphics, including graphics and promos for television networks and film titles and logs for advertising. Focuses on design presentation and development, screen composition, graphic transitions and content.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Laboratory 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 271 - Printmaking I
Introduces the student to the full range of printmaking techniques. Includes woodcut, silkscreen, etching, and lithography. Provides historical perspective on printmaking. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 280 - Graphic Design for Studio Arts
Introduces digital tools, software, and techniques used by visual artists and design professionals to create day-to-day business forms, documents and self-promotional material. Explores the fundamental principles of layout and design that govern the use of image, type and color. Presents professional standards and practices used for organizing, archiving, printing and presenting their work.
Lecture 2 hours per week. Laboratory 3 hours per week. 3 Credits.
ART 131 Fundamentals of Design I and PHT 101 Photography I
3 credits
View ART 280 Course Content Summary
ART 283 - Computer Graphics I
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part I of II.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 3-4 hours. Total 5-6 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ART 284 - Computer Graphics II
Utilizes microcomputers and software to produce computer graphics. Employs techniques learned to solve studio projects which reinforce instruction and are appropriate for portfolio use. Part II of II.
3-4 credits
ART 286 - Communication Arts Workshop
Requires special project and/or research focusing on career opportunities. Teaches resume and portfolio preparation and interview techniques. May include internship with a professional design firm. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1 hour. Studio instruction 4 hours. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
ART 287 - Portfolio and Resume Preparation
Focuses on portfolio preparation, resume writing, and job interviewing for students. Recommended for final semester program students. Requires instructor's approval.
Lecture 1-2 hours. Studio instruction 0-4 hours. Total 1-6 hours per week.
1-4 credits