Communication Studies and Theatre (CST) at Tidewater Community College

Advanced Search >>

Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

CST 100 - Principles of Public Speaking
Applies theory and principles of public address with emphasis on preparation and delivery.
Lecture 3 hour per week.
3 credits
CST 110 - Introduction to Communication
Examines the elements affecting speech communication at the individual, small group, and public communication levels with emphasis on practice of communication at each level.
Lecture 2-3 hours per week.
2-3 credits
CST 111 - Voice and Diction I
Enables students to improve pronunciation, articulation, and voice quality. Includes applied phonetics. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 126 - Interpersonal Communication
Teaches interpersonal communication skills for both daily living and the world of work. Includes perception, self- concept, self-disclosure, listening and feedback, nonverbal communication, attitudes, assertiveness and other interpersonal skills.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 130 - Introduction to the Theatre
Surveys the principles of drama, the development of theatre production, and selected plays to acquaint the student with various types of theatrical presentations.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 131 - Acting I
Develops personal resources and explores performance skills through such activities as theatre games, role playing, improvisation, work on basic script units, and performance of scenes. Part I of IV.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 3 hour. Total 5 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 141 - Theatre Appreciation I
Aims to increase knowledge and enjoyment of theatre. Considers process, style, organization, written drama, and performed drama. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 145 - Stagecraft
Acquaints the student with fundamental methods, materials, and techniques of set construction for the stage.
Lecture 2 hours.Laboratory 2 hour. Total 4 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 151 - Film Appreciation I
Provides students with a critical understanding of film through the discussion and viewing of motion pictures with emphasis upon the study of film history and the forms and functions of film. Students will develop skills to analyze the shared social, cultural and historical influences of films and their contexts. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 152 - Film Appreciation II
Provides students with a critical understanding of film through the discussion and viewing of motion pictures with emphasis upon the study of film history and the forms and functions of film. Students will develop skills to analyze the shared social, cultural and historical influences of films and their contexts. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 227 - Business and Professional Communication
Emphasizes principles and practical application to effective professional oral communication behaviors to include speaking, listening, and relating, and rhetorical sensitivity within professional, business, and organizational contexts.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 229 - Intercultural Communication
Emphasizes the influence of culture on the communication process including differences in values, message systems, and communication rules.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 233 - Rehearsal and Performance I
Explores various aspects of the theatre through involvement in college theatre production. Part I of II.
Variable hours per week.
1-4 credits
CST 234 - Rehearsal and Performance II
Explores various aspects of the theatre through involvement in college theatre production. Part II of II.
Variable hours per week.
1-4 credits
CST 241 - Introduction to Directing I
Introduces theory and practice of stage direction through the study of directing methods as well as the execution and discussion of directing exercises. Prerequisite CST 131-132 or SPD 131-132 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2 hours. Total 4 hours per week.
3 credits
CST 251 - Stage Lighting and Sound
Provides students with a basic understanding of the principles of stage lighting and sound. Instructs students in the fundamentals of stage lighting such as: functions of lighting, qualities of light, design, basic electricity, lighting instruments and equipment, board operation, and safety. Instructs students in the functions of sound, equipment, design, and sound operation.
3 credits
CST 266 - Outdoor Drama
Enables students to study production techniques through participation as actors or technicians in outdoor drama. Prerequisite divisional approval.
Variable hours per week.
1-6 credits
CST 290 - Coordinated Internship
Supervises on-the-job training in selected business, industrial or service firms coordinated by the college.
1-5 credits
1-5 credits