Phys Education and Recreation (PED) at Tidewater Community College

Advanced Search >>
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

PED 100 - Pilates
Provides a method of mind-body exercise and physical movement designed to stretch, strengthen, balance the body, and improve posture and core stabilization while increasing body awareness.
Lecture 0-1 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 2-4 hours per week.
1-2 credits
PED 101 - Fundamentals of Physical Activity I
Presents principles underlying the components of physical fitness. Utilizes conditioning activities involving cardiovascular strength and endurance, respiratory efficiency, muscular strength, and flexibility. May include fitness assessment, nutrition and weight control information, and concepts of wellness. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 103 - Aerobic Fitness I
Develops cardiovascular fitness though activities designed to elevate and sustain heart rates appropriate to age and physical condition. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 105 - Aerobic Dance I
Focuses on physical fitness through dance exercises. Emphasizes the development of cardiovascular endurance, muscular endurance, and flexibility. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 107 - Exercise and Nutrition I
Provides for the study and application of fitness and wellness and their relationship to a healthy lifestyle. Defines fitness and wellness, evaluates the student's level of fitness and wellness. Students will incorporate physical fitness and wellness into the course and daily living. A personal fitness/wellness plan is required for the 2 credit course. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 109 - Yoga
Focuses on the forms of yoga training emphasizing flexibility.
1-2 credits
PED 110 - Zumba
Focuses on Latin rhythms, dance moves and techniques in Zumba. Utilizes physical activity, cardiovascular endurance, balance, coordination and flexibility as related to dance.
Lecture 0-1 hours. Laboratory 1-2 hours. 2-3 hours per week.
1-2 credits
PED 111 - Weight Training I
Focuses on muscular strength and endurance training through individualized workout programs. Teaches appropriate use of weight training equipment. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 113 - Lifetime Activities I
Presents lifetime sports and activities. Teaches skills and methods of lifetime sports and activities appropriate to the local season and facilities available. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 116 - Lifetime Fitness and Wellness
Provides a study of fitness and wellness and their relationship to a healthy lifestyle. Defines fitness and wellness, evaluates the student's level of fitness and wellness, and motivates the student to incorporate physical fitness and wellness into daily living. A personal fitness/wellness plan is required for the 2-credit course.
1-2 credits
PED 117 - Fitness Walking
Teaches content and skills needed to design, implement, and evaluate an individualized program of walking, based upon fitness level.
Laboratory 2 hours per week.
1 credits
PED 129 - Self-Defense
Examines history, techniques, and movements associated with self-defense. Introduces the skills and methods of self- defense emphasizing mental and physical discipline.
1-2 credits
PED 133 - Golf I
Teaches basic skills of golf, rules, etiquette, scoring, terminology, equipment selection and use, and strategy. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 135 - Bowling I
Teaches basic bowling skills and techniques, scoring, rules, etiquette, and terminology. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-1hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 2-4 hours per week.
1-2 credits
PED 137 - Martial Arts I
Emphasizes forms, styles, and techniques of body control, physical and mental discipline, and physical fitness. Presents a brief history of development of martial arts theory and practice. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 152 - Basketball
Introduces basketball skills, techniques, rules, and strategies.
1-2 credits
PED 168 - Basic Personal Trainer Preparation
Introduces the skills and knowledge required to become a personal trainer. Includes the principles of individual weight management, personal wellness, and the skills necessary for the creation of a fitness program for potential clients.
3 credit hours. 2 lecture hours. 2 lab hours. 4 hours per week.
3 credits
View PED 168 Course Content Summary
PED 170 - Tai Chi I
Develops an understanding of the Theories and practices of Tai Chi. Explores the energy of exercise that will tone muscles, improve circulation and increase flexibility and balance. Discusses history and philosophy of exercise and relaxation techniques for stress reduction.
1-2 credits
PED 171 - Ballroom Dance I
Presents the basic step patterns, rhythmic patterns, and positions in ballroom dance. Includes techniques based upon traditional steps with basic choreographic patterns. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 190 - Coordinated Internship
Supervises on-the-job training in selected business, industrial or service firms coordinated by the college.
Credit/practice ratio not to exceed 1:5 hours. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
PED 198 - Seminar and Project
Requires completion of a project or research report related to the student's occupational objectives and a study of approaches to the selection and pursuit of career opportunities in the field.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
PED 206 - Sports Appreciation
Focuses on the history, trends, rules, methods, strategy, and terminology of selected sports activities. Provides student awareness as a spectator and/or participant.
Lecture 2 hours per week.
2 credits