Language Arts for Young Children - CHD 118 at Thomas Nelson Community College

          Advanced Search >>
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Restrict search to:


Offering institutions

CHD 118 - Language Arts for Young Children
Emphasizes the early development of children's language and literacy skills. Presents techniques and methods for supporting all aspects of early literacy. Surveys children's literature, and examines elements of promoting oral literacy, print awareness, phonological awareness, alphabetic principle, quality storytelling and story reading. Addresses strategies for intervention and support for exceptional children and English Language Learners.
Lecture 2 hours. Laboratory 2 hours. Total 4 hours per week.
3 credits
View CHD 118 Course Content Summary

Schedule at Thomas Nelson Community College

Summer 2020

Not scheduled

Fall 2020

Class # Section Credits Day Time Start Location Mode
41916 CHD 118-30H 3
6:30 p.m.-9:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
2020-08-19 Hampton Campus P
This class meets over 5 weekends: August 21-22, September 11-12, September 25-26, October 23-24, and November 6-7.
15755 CHD 118-B01H 3
11:00 a.m.-12:50 p.m.
2020-08-19 Hampton Campus HY
This is a hybrid course that combines face-to-face and online instruction. Students must have reliable access to a computer and the Internet to successfully complete this course. Students enrolled in hybrid courses are encouraged to attend a distance learning orientation session. Session schedules are located at: We also offer an online distance learning orientation located at:
What Next?
Already a student at TNCC? A New Student?
  1. Register using SIS at My VCCS
  2. Purchase books
  3. Attend class
  1. Complete and submit an application for admission
  2. Request transcripts from your high school or other colleges attended
  3. Take placement tests
  4. File for financial aid
  5. Register for classes
  6. Purchase books
  7. Attend class

Any questions? Contact the college and talk to a counselor.