English (ENG) at Thomas Nelson Community College

Advanced Search >>

Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

ENG 93 - Studies In
Covers new content not covered in existing courses in the discipline. Allows instructor to explore content and instructional methods to assess the course's viability as a permanent offering.
Variable hours per week.
1-5 credits
ENG 95 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ENG 111 - College Composition I
Introduces students to critical thinking and the fundamentals of academic writing. Through the writing process, students refine topics: develop and support ideas; investigate, evaluate, and incorporate appropriate resources; edit for effective style and usage; and determine appropriate approaches for a variety of contexts, audiences, and purposes. Writing activities will include exposition and argumentation with at least one researched essay. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 112 - College Composition II
Continues to develop college writing with increased emphasis on critical essays, argumentation, and research, developing these competencies through the examination of a range of texts about the human experience. Requires students to locate, evaluate, integrate, and document sources and effectively edit for style and usage. Prerequisite: Students must successfully complete ENG 111 or its equivalent, and must be able to use word processing software.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 115 - Technical Writing
Develops ability in technical writing through extensive practice in composing technical reports and other documents. Guides students in achieving voice, tone, style, and content in formatting, editing, and graphics. Introduces students to technical discourse through selected reading.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 121 - Introduction to Journalism I
Introduces students to all news media, especially news gathering and preparation for print. Prerequisite ENG 111 OR 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 122 - Introduction to Journalism II
Introduces students to all news media, especially news gathering and preparation for print. Prerequisite ENG 111 OR 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 125 - Introduction to Literature
Introduces students to a range of literary genres that may include poetry, fiction, drama, creative nonfiction, and other cultural texts, as it continues to develop college writing. Prerequisite: ENG 111.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 193 - Studies In
Variable hours per week.
1-5 credits
ENG 195 - Topics In
1-5 credits
ENG 210 - Advanced Composition
Helps students refine skills in writing non-fiction prose. Guides development of individual voice and style. Introduces procedures for publication. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 211 - Creative Writing I
Introduces the student to the fundamentals of writing imaginatively. Students write in forms to be selected from poetry, fiction, drama, and essays. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 212 - Creative Writing II
Introduces the student to the fundamentals of writing imaginatively. Students write in forms to be selected from poetry, fiction, drama, and essays. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 215 - Creative Writing - Fiction I
Introduces the fundamentals and techniques of writing short and long fiction. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 241 - Survey of American Literature I
Examines American literary works from colonial times to the present, emphasizing the ideas and characteristics of our national literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 242 - Survey of American Literature II
Examines American literary works from colonial times to the present, emphasizing the ideas and characteristics of our national literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 243 - Survey of English Literature I
Studies major English works from the Anglo-Saxon period to the present, emphasizing ideas and characteristics of the British literary tradition. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 244 - Survey of English Literature II
Studies major English works from the Anglo-Saxon period to the present, emphasizing ideas and characteristics of the British literary tradition. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 250 - Children's Literature
Surveys the history, development and genres of children's literature, focusing on analysis of texts for literary qualities and in terms of audience.
Credit Hours: 3: Lecture Hours: 3: Lab Hours: 0: Total Contact Hours: 3
Prerequisite(s): ENG 112 or 125 (or divisional approval).
3 credits
View ENG 250 Course Content Summary
ENG 251 - Survey of World Literature I
Examines major works of world literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 252 - Survey of World Literature II
Examines major works of world literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 253 - Survey of African-American Literature I
Examines selected works by Black American writers from the colonial period to the present. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 254 - Survey of African-American Literature II
Examines selected works by Black American writers from the colonial period to the present. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 261 - Advanced Creative Writing I
Guides the student in imaginative writing in selected genres on an advanced level. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 262 - Advanced Creative Writing II
Guides the student in imaginative writing in selected genres on an advanced level. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 267 - The Modern Novel
Studies the modern novel. Emphasizes appreciation and interpretation of selected novels. Requires critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 273 - Women in Literature I
Examines literature by and about women. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 274 - Women in Literature II
Examines literature by and about women. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 279 - Film and Literature
Examines the translation of literature into film viewing and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 293 - Studies In
Lecture 1-5 hours per week.
1-5 credits
ENG 295 - Topics In
1-5 credits