English (ENG) at Wytheville Community College

Advanced Search >>

Showing: WWW Online - WWW Online w/E-Rate
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:

Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:

Term
Restrict search to:

ENG 2 - Spelling and Vocabulary Study
Helps students to improve spelling and develop vocabulary. Reviews common spelling patterns. Familiarizes the student with basic prefixes, suffixes, root words, and other word formations. Teaches effective use of the dictionary and thesaurus. Stresses recognizing words in reading context and using them effectively in writing.
Variable hours per week.
1-6 credits
ENG 99 - Supervised Study
Assigns problems for independent study incorporating previous instruction and supervised by the instructor.
May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ENG 100 - Basic Occupational Communication
Develops ability to communicate in occupational situations. Involves writing, reading, speaking, and listening. Builds practical skills such as handling customer complaints, writing various types of letters, and preparing for a job interview. (Intended for certificate and diploma students.)
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 101 - Practical Writing I
Develops writing ability for study, work, and other areas of life with emphasis on occupational correspondence and reports. Guides students in learning writing as a process: understanding audience and purpose, exploring ideas and information, composing, revising, and editing. Supports writing by integrating experiences in thinking, reading, listening, and speaking. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 111 - College Composition I
Introduces students to critical thinking and the fundamentals of academic writing. Through the writing process, students refine topics: develop and support ideas; investigate, evaluate, and incorporate appropriate resources; edit for effective style and usage; and determine appropriate approaches for a variety of contexts, audiences, and purposes. Writing activities will include exposition and argumentation with at least one researched essay. This is a Passport Transfer course.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 112 - College Composition II
Continues to develop college writing with increased emphasis on critical essays, argumentation, and research, developing these competencies through the examination of a range of texts about the human experience. Requires students to locate, evaluate, integrate, and document sources and effectively edit for style and usage. Prerequisite: Students must successfully complete ENG 111 or its equivalent, and must be able to use word processing software.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 114 - Scientific Writing
Develops rhetorical expertise in the conventions of scientific argumentation and writing through reading scientific literature and composing scientific writings. Introduces plain style and common genres of scientific writing. Develops the ability to communicate scientific knowledge to diverse audiences. Guides the student in achieving typical voice, tone, style, audience, and content in formatting, editing, and graphics.
Lecture 3 hours. Total 3 hours per week.
Prerequisites: ENG 111 or its equivalent
3 credits
View ENG 114 Course Content Summary
ENG 115 - Technical Writing
Develops ability in technical writing through extensive practice in composing technical reports and other documents. Guides students in achieving voice, tone, style, and content in formatting, editing, and graphics. Introduces students to technical discourse through selected reading.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 116 - Writing for Business
Develops ability in business writing through extensive practice in composing business correspondence and other documents. Guides students in achieving voice, tone, style, and content appropriate to a specific audience and purpose. Includes instruction in formatting and editing. Introduces students to business discourse through selected readings.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 121 - Introduction to Journalism I
Introduces students to all news media, especially news gathering and preparation for print. Prerequisite ENG 111 OR 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 122 - Introduction to Journalism II
Introduces students to all news media, especially news gathering and preparation for print. Prerequisite ENG 111 OR 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 131 - Technical Report Writing I
Offers a review of organizational skills including paragraph writing and basic forms of technical communications, various forms of business correspondence, and basic procedures for research writing. Includes instruction and practice in oral communication skills.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 137 - Communication Processes I
Covers content, form, and procedures for research writings, which may include reports, articles, summaries, essays and correspondence. Stresses editing, proofreading skills, sentence structure, and paragraph development. Offers instruction and practice in oral communication skills. May use reading selections for discussions and writing assignments. Part I of II.
Lecture 3-4 hours per week.
3-4 credits
ENG 195 - Topics In
Provides an opportunity to explore topical areas of interest to or needed by students.
May be used also for special honors courses. May be repeated for credit. Variable hours.
1-5 credits
ENG 198 - Seminar and Project
Requires completion of a project or research report related to the student's occupational objectives and a study of approaches to the selection and pursuit of career opportunities in the field.
1-5 credits
ENG 199 - Supervised Study
1-5 credits
ENG 210 - Advanced Composition
Helps students refine skills in writing non-fiction prose. Guides development of individual voice and style. Introduces procedures for publication. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 211 - Creative Writing I
Introduces the student to the fundamentals of writing imaginatively. Students write in forms to be selected from poetry, fiction, drama, and essays. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 212 - Creative Writing II
Introduces the student to the fundamentals of writing imaginatively. Students write in forms to be selected from poetry, fiction, drama, and essays. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 215 - Creative Writing - Fiction I
Introduces the fundamentals and techniques of writing short and long fiction. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 216 - Creative Writing - Fiction II
Introduces the fundamentals and techniques of writing short and long fiction. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 217 - Creative Writing - Poetry I
Introduces the fundamentals and techniques of writing poetry. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 218 - Creative Writing - Poetry II
Introduces the fundamentals and techniques of writing poetry. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 237 - Introduction to Poetry
Examines selected poetry, emphasizing the history of the genre. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 241 - Survey of American Literature I
Examines American literary works from colonial times to the present, emphasizing the ideas and characteristics of our national literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 242 - Survey of American Literature II
Examines American literary works from colonial times to the present, emphasizing the ideas and characteristics of our national literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 243 - Survey of English Literature I
Studies major English works from the Anglo-Saxon period to the present, emphasizing ideas and characteristics of the British literary tradition. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 244 - Survey of English Literature II
Studies major English works from the Anglo-Saxon period to the present, emphasizing ideas and characteristics of the British literary tradition. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 247 - Survey of Popular Culture
Analyzes familiar aspects of American culture, as seen through popular literature, with additional emphasis on television, film, and popular art. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 250 - Children's Literature
Surveys the history, development and genres of children's literature, focusing on analysis of texts for literary qualities and in terms of audience.
Credit Hours: 3: Lecture Hours: 3: Lab Hours: 0: Total Contact Hours: 3
Prerequisite(s): ENG 112 or 125 (or divisional approval).
3 credits
View ENG 250 Course Content Summary
ENG 251 - Survey of World Literature I
Examines major works of world literature. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 256 - Literature of Science Fiction
Examines the literary and social aspects of science fiction, emphasizing development of ideas and techniques through the history of the genre. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 261 - Advanced Creative Writing I
Guides the student in imaginative writing in selected genres on an advanced level. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 267 - The Modern Novel
Studies the modern novel. Emphasizes appreciation and interpretation of selected novels. Requires critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 268 - The Modern Drama
Studies the modern drama. Emphasizes the understanding and enjoyment of dramatic literature. Requires critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 271 - The Works of Shakespeare I
Examines selected works of Shakespeare. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 272 - The Works of Shakespeare II
Examines selected works of Shakespeare. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 273 - Women in Literature I
Examines literature by and about women. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part I of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 274 - Women in Literature II
Examines literature by and about women. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval. Part II of II.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 276 - Southern Literature
Examines the themes and techniques of selected writers dealing with the American South as a distinctive cultural entity. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 278 - Appalachian Literature
Examines selected works of outstanding authors of the Appalachian region. Involves critical reading and writing. Prerequisite ENG 112 or divisional approval.
Lecture 3 hours per week.
3 credits
ENG 298 - Seminar and Project
1-5 credits
ENG 299 - Supervised Study
1-5 credits