Phys Education and Recreation (PED) at Wytheville Community College

Advanced Search
Distance Learning
Restrict search to:
   Distance Learning Types
Time of Day
Restrict search to:
Term
Restrict search to:
PED 107 - Exercise and Nutrition I
Provides for the study and application of fitness and wellness and their relationship to a healthy lifestyle. Defines fitness and wellness, evaluates the student's level of fitness and wellness. Students will incorporate physical fitness and wellness into the course and daily living. A personal fitness/wellness plan is required for the 2 credit course. Part I of II.
Lecture 0-1 hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 2-4 hours per week.
1-2 credits
PED 109 - Yoga
Focuses on the forms of yoga training emphasizing flexibility.
1-2 credits
PED 111 - Weight Training I
Focuses on muscular strength and endurance training through individualized workout programs. Teaches appropriate use of weight training equipment. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 112 - Weight Training II
Focuses on muscular strength and endurance training through individualized workout programs. Teaches appropriate use of weight training equipment. Part II of II.
1-2 credits
PED 113 - Lifetime Activities I
Presents lifetime sports and activities. Teaches skills and methods of lifetime sports and activities appropriate to the local season and facilities available. Part I of II.
1-2 credits
PED 116 - Lifetime Fitness and Wellness
Provides a study of fitness and wellness and their relationship to a healthy lifestyle. Defines fitness and wellness, evaluates the student's level of fitness and wellness, and motivates the student to incorporate physical fitness and wellness into daily living. A personal fitness/wellness plan is required for the 2-credit course.
1-2 credits
PED 129 - Self-Defense
Examines history, techniques, and movements associated with self-defense. Introduces the skills and methods of self- defense emphasizing mental and physical discipline.
1-2 credits
PED 147 - Hiking
Introduces physical and mental benefits of walking or hiking as a form of physical exercise. Skills developed include how to plan for a hike, what to take, and how to select a trail relative to individual abilities. Provides hiking opportunities to explore local regions. Develops awareness of safety, weather, and ecological considerations.
Laboratory 2-4. Total 2-4 hours per week.
1-2 credits
PED 173 - Rock Climbing and Rappelling
Presents techniques and skills of climbing and rappelling with emphasis on safety, equipment, skills in knot typing, terminology and physical conditioning.
Lecture 0-1hours. Laboratory 2-4 hours. Total 2-4 hours per week.
1-2 credits
PED 183 - Outdoor Adventures I
Introduces outdoor adventure activities with emphasis on basic skills, preparation, personal and group safety, equipment selection and use, ecology, and field experience. Part I of II.
1-2 credits